Monday, July 29, 2013

The Old Man and Witch Coven come knocking

At our FLGS one of our players is a grandfather who I have known for almost two decades; he shall henceforth be referred to here as "The Old Man".  As the FLGS was wrapping up their league which I chose to not join this time around due mostly to time constraints, The Old Man, who plays Cryx, was trailing in second.

One way he could get points is by playing someone he hasn't played in the league and playing against a faction he hadn't played.  He asked me for a game as we had not played, nor had he played Trollbloods.  I agreed to do so.

I took The Jarl List

He took a Witch Coven Tier List:

The Witch Coven of Garlghast
* Defiler
* Stalker
* Deathjack
* Skarlock Thrall
Bane Knights (Leader and 5 Grunts)
Satyxis Blood Witches (Leader and 9 Grunts)
* Satyxis Blood Hag
Soulhunters (Leader and 4 Grunts)
Darragh Wrathe
Necrotech & 1 Scrap Thrall
Necrotech & 1 Scrap Thrall
Pistol Wraith

Let me start by saying there is a guy from Ottawa, we'll call him The Viking, I have played a few times and he runs with Coven.  I have never done well against Coven, but this list was a special kind of hell for Trolls.  It has the Stalker, which ignores Tough, the Blood Hag which strips Tough off of anything within 8", and Darragh Wraithe with 5 Light Cav who are Incorporeal every other round.

That puts me with two things denying or ignoring my faction wide advantage, and 6 Light Cav (one of them a Dragoon), and a minifeat on an entire unit who I will have a hard time dealing with as only Jarl and Janissa have Magical Weapons in my list.  The short version is, you would be hard pressed to find a list more skewed toward anti-Trolls.  My initial reaction, internally, was fairly poor; however I figured I was bound to see these types of lists here and there, so I decided to play through.  Pictures are below, I am not going to go into Turn by Turn as it was a pretty crushing defeat, I think I prioritized targets well (taking the Hag out Top of Turn 2 with her only denying Tough to one Fennblade who I shot in the back to Magic Bullet her).

I had a chance to put some Magic Bullets into the Coven, but failed to do so due to getting ahead of myself and ending Jarl's activation too soon.  On the plus side, Jarl proved to be extraordinarily resilient to the Coven's attempts to kill him, lasting over 5 rounds.






I had a chance in the final turn to clear out the the troops tying up the Bomber and toss on the Coven, but my plan going into the turn did not survive the round as I forgot the extra Fury I was camping was supposed to be used to heal a point of Spirit on the Bomber so he could Trample and toss.

All in all, very tough match up, but I learned a lot about my list and the mistakes I made.  I don't feel that I automatically lost when my opponent list skewed against me, but it was definitely an uphill battle.  One thing I think I did well was counter-feating.

Jarl list moves to 1 Win, 1 Loss; 8 games to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment