Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Sacrificial Pwn

So like most players in a miniature wargame, I have a mortal enemy good friend who plays.  He is mainly playing Circle at this point, and I have managed to take down eKruegar, pBaldur, and Morvhanna.  My most recent kill was Morvhanna, who fell to a multi-wound eGrissel list, with Grissel herself pulling off the assassination.

Upon review of the game, we realized that Morvhanna had not used Sacrificial Pawn once, so we obviously needed a rematch.  To say that the eGrissel game was close is not doing justice to the wall I was up against when I pulled out the win.  Either way, I decided that I would bring "The Calandra List", I swapped out my Axer for a full unit of Burrowers and hit the table:


I was staring down the following:

Morvahna the Autumnblade
* Warpwolf Stalker
* Woldguardian
Druids of Orboros (Leader and 5 Grunts)
* Druid of Orboros Overseer
Shifting Stones
Tharn Bloodtrackers (Leader and 9 Grunts)
* Nuala the Huntress
Gallows Grove

The game started off with an early kill on two of the Fennblades, so like always, this magical moment made me giddy.  I took their Vengeance move, popped their Mini-Feat, and charged in.  They inflicted some heavy casualties upon the Bloodtrackers, killing Nuala and 5 grunts, as well as putting some heavy damage on the Warpwolf Stalker.  It was at this point that my opponent got his "magical moment", and through Regrowth brought back the 5 grunts, in formation behind my Fennblades.

Fennblades managed to stave off some of the attacks, as even with their Weapon Master throws, the Bloodtrackers were Dice minus 7 (thanks Krielstone!); however quite a few fell.  My opponent then made good use of the Warpwolf Stalker wiping out the rest of the unit save one grunt and the drummer.

Got a Vengeance swing, but it didn't do much.  Burrowers popped up and advanced, but he had screened Morvhanna pretty well, the Burrowers took down some Druids, but all shots on Morvhanna either missed or fell short; they were slaughtered shortly after.  Bomber moved in to position to drop some barrels on Morvhanna, however my opponent had pulled his Shifting Stones in tight to Morvhanna, allowing him to Sac Pawn the barrels to them.

Back on my side of the board, those Bloodtrackers were coming after Calandra hard, however the combination of Bullet Dodger + Star Crossed kept her in the game for a few turns (and my opponent swearing off WM/H forever ;) ), but at the end of the day, too much had been lost without enough taken down, and Morvhanna's Bloodtrackers finally made a charge on Calandra (denying her the Bullet Dodger +DEF bonus) and ended the game.

Wrap-up thoughts:  I should have realized that Regrowth was going to ruin my day, if I had dropped some barrels on the Bloodtrackers before the Fennblade charge, I think I could have dropped that entire unit.  If they had gone down I feel the game would have probably ended differently, but you never know, and that is why I love this game.

If you would like more information on the Circle player, you can check out his blog here.

No comments:

Post a Comment